30 Hours – 10am-4pm Monday to Friday/ 39 Weeks per year (term time plus 5 Inset days)
Responsible to Head of English and Business Manager
The David Nieper Academy is a newly formed academy in Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand new school building was opened in early 2017 with our Sixth Form Centre re-opening September 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across year groups. This year we have seen an increase in student numbers within each year group and we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key driver in enhancing the academic and social achievement of our students.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an outstanding Learning Resource Assistant.
The successful candidate must be able to work well as part of the wider academy team supporting all members, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, have a ‘can-do’ attitude, be highly organised and have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Thank you for showing an interest in the post of Learning Resource Assistant at the David Nieper Academy.
Our Academy is sponsored by the David Nieper Education Trust, together with local employer partners, who are highly committed in supporting the development and achievements of our students. With an innovative approach to teaching, hands-on learning and brand new purpose-built facilities, which opened in February 2017, we believe that this is a truly exciting time to join the academy.
Our aim is to raise standards, expectations, inspire excellence and to encourage students to achieve their full potential. We will help them develop confidence and key lifelong learning skills and to obtain the qualifications required as they look to future careers and explore the many opportunities in further education, apprenticeships, university and beyond. The opening of our Business and Enterprise Sixth Form Centre is a further development in our growth. The Sixth Form will provide a first class education combined with fully integrated employability skills, cementing our ongoing working relationships with our business partners. We are currently a small school of 470 students 11-17 however, our intention is to grow quickly to our full capacity of 850 students 11-18.
The David Nieper Academy has a clear distinctive character due to the integrated involvement of its prestigious business partners. High profile local businesses, most, being either international or national household names such as Thorntons, Denby Pottery, Owen Taylor, Bowmer & Kirkland, Places for People alongside David Nieper are committed to bringing the world of work and 21st Century employment practices into every classroom. Practical contextual Applied Learning has been proven to assist all students in retaining and understanding more fully the concepts and principles taught in the classroom. We are looking for a candidate who will embrace this approach and ensure that David Nieper Academy is adopting this approach through its world class learning pedagogies.
If you like the sound of the academy and are keen to be instrumental in its future success, then we would like to hear from you and look forward to receiving your application by 9am on Tuesday 29th January 2019. Interviews have been provisionally scheduled for Friday 1st February 2019.
If you have any queries or if you would like to visit prior to making an application, please contact Mrs Michelle Hackett, PA to Headteacher, via email at email@example.com
Kathryn Hobbs, Headteacher
How to Apply
To apply please complete and return an application form along with your covering letter, clearly demonstrating your suitability for this post. Send via email for the attention of the Headteacher’s PA, Mrs Michelle Hackett, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 9am on Tuesday 29th January 2019.
Interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place on Friday 1st February 2019. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume that unfortunately, on this occasion, your application has not been successful.
Learning Resource Assistant
Job Description: Learning Resource Assistant
You will work within the academy library, maintaining, enhancing and running this resource for the benefit of all pupils and staff working with the English Faculty, this will include support with the delivery of the Accelerated Reader programme. In addition you will provide additional learning resource support including the completion and support of reprographics requests, the research and production of learning resources and manage stakeholders needs and queries to a high standard. Successful candidates must be able to demonstrate good attention to detail and have a flexible approach to their work. You will be working as part of the supportive and friendly team and your main responsibilities will include duties such as:
- Maintain and enhance the library resource and provision
- Run an inviting library facility at breaks, lunchtimes and immediately after school to encourage and support pupils to make maximum use of this facility
- Procure additional books and resources to provide an appropriate teaching and learning environment in line with faculty requests and budget constraints
- Oversee the booking and use of the library lap tops
- Maintain and enhance the careers library resources and information in conjunction with the Head of Careers
- Liaise with IT to ensure that the electronic library systems are working at the optimum
- Work with staff and students to develop strong reading habits in all pupils
- Support with the provision of Accelerated Reader in Key Stage 3
- In conjunction with the English Faculty support identified pupils to progress with Accelerated Reader
- Support staff with the creation and production of high quality learning resources
- Support the office staff with reprographics requests
- Undertake any other reasonable duties within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibility of the job as requested by the Headteacher
- Enjoyment of reading and learning
- Ability to support others
- A strong team player
- Good sense of humour
Person Specification: Learning Resource Assistant
|Skills||· Ability to organise and lead the library facility and resource
· Ability to maintain an orderly and calm working environment for students and staff
· Ability to support and inspire students to develop a love of reading
· Ability to work at own initiative, and as part of a team.
· Ability to work in a flexible and responsive way
· Ability to relate well to children and adults.
· Ability to work under pressure.
· Competency in numeracy and literacy.
· Excellent communication skills.
|· Ability to use ICT effectively to support learning.
· Ability to support the processes and procedures for the effective use of the library.
|Knowledge||· Knowledge of appropriate ways of supporting staff and students to get the most from a library and learning resource provision
|· Willingness to work with others to support and learn
· Awareness of the Accelerated Reader Programme
· Awareness of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, equal opportunities, confidentiality and data protection and of other relevant legislation.
|Experience||· Experience working with children, young people.
· Experience of administrative duties.
|· Experience of library software
· Experience of creating learning resources
|Qualifications||· 5 GCSE pass or equivalent of NVQ Level 2 including English/literacy.||· Appropriate first aid training.
· Further qualifications in Engslih
· A level/Level 3 qualification.
Method of Application
- We will only accept applications on the David Nieper Academy application form. Curriculum Vitae will not be accepted.
- The statement in your application should focus on:
- Candidate’s previous experience which will help in successfully undertaking the role
- Personal skills to benefit the learning by students at the David Nieper Academy.
- For any queries or if you would like to visit, please email email@example.com
- Completed application forms to be returned via email for the attention of the Headteacher’s PA, Mrs Michelle Hackett, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The school operates a NO SMOKING policy on site.
- Interviews – Candidates invited to interview will:
- Have the opportunity to tour the school
- Complete an exercise
- Have a formal individual interview with the selection panel.