39 Weeks per year – 3-6pm Monday to Friday with the possibility of some additional work in the academy holidays to support external lettings
Responsible to Senior Cleaner and Site Manager
Hourly Rate: National Minimum wage for age
The David Nieper Academy is an academy in the town of Alfreton, Derbyshire. A brand-new school building was opened in early 2017. A key aspect of our vision is our focus on applied learning within all subject areas and across year groups. We have seen an increase in student numbers within each year group and are currently over subscribed for Year 7; we are looking to build on this year on year. This is an immensely exciting time to be joining the academy and being a key driver in enhancing the academic and social achievement of our students.
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint a Relief Cleaner to join a dedicated group of part-time cleaners who support the Site Manager.
The successful candidate must be able to function well as part of a team, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, have a ‘can-do’ attitude, be highly organised and have the ability to work under pressure.
The Governing Body is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people, so all staff appointments are subject to employment checks and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.
Candidates should indicate an acceptance of, and a commitment to, the Academy’s policies in relation to equality and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
It is an offence to apply for this role if an applicant is barred from engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
Please follow the below link to view the David Nieper Education Trust Safeguarding/Child Protection Policy https://davidnieper.academy/about-us/academy-policies/
Thank you for showing an interest in the post of Relief Cleaner at the David Nieper Academy.
Our Academy is sponsored by the David Nieper Education Trust, together with local employer partners, who are highly committed in supporting the development and achievements of our students. With an innovative approach to teaching, hands-on learning and brand-new purpose-built facilities, which opened in February 2017, we believe that this is a truly exciting time to join the academy. We are a growing school now of 780 students 11-18 and will soon be at our full capacity of 850 students 11-18.
Our aim is to raise standards, expectations, inspire excellence and to encourage students to achieve their full potential. We will help them develop confidence and key lifelong learning skills and to obtain the qualifications required as they look to future careers and explore the many opportunities in further education, apprenticeships, university and beyond.
The David Nieper Academy has a clear distinctive character due to the integrated involvement of its prestigious business partners. High profile local businesses, most being either international or national household names such as Denby Pottery, Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd, Bowmer & Kirkland, Places for People, Equip UK alongside David Nieper Ltd, are committed to bringing the world of work and 21st Century employment practices into every classroom. Practical contextual applied learning has been proven to assist all students in retaining and understanding more fully the concepts and principles taught in the classroom. We are looking for a candidate who will embrace this approach and ensure that David Nieper Academy is adopting this approach through its world class learning pedagogies.
If you like the sound of the academy and are keen to be instrumental in its future success, then we would like to hear from you and look forward to receiving your application.
If you have any queries please contact Mrs Maria Barnes, HR Assistant, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Kathryn Hobbs, Headteacher
How to Apply
To apply please complete and return an application form along with your covering letter, clearly demonstrating your suitability for this post. Send via email for the attention of the HR Assistant, Mrs Maria Barnes, to email@example.com
We reserve the right to interview as soon as applications are received. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of submission, please assume that unfortunately, on this occasion, your application has not been successful.
- Free access to BUPA Employee Assistance Programme
- Free onsite Parking
- Generous discount at the David Nieper Ltd factory shop
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Statement of Purpose
To work under the direction and instruction of the Senior Cleaner and Site Manager to undertake individually, or as part of a team, providing efficient and effective cleaning support to the school including ensuring that the general appearance of the buildings and surrounding areas are maintained in accordance with the required standards set by the school.
Maintenance and Cleaning
- Carry out cleaning tasks as directed by the appropriate supervisor to include:
- Mop sweeping.
- Single solution mopping.
- Spray cleaning.
- Damp wiping.
- Waste disposal.
- Cleaning of toilet facilities and associated tasks required to achieve a high quality of cleanliness.
- Cleaning of fixtures and fittings.
- The use of appropriate cleaning equipment and machinery.
- Ensuring the safe use of chemicals, machinery and equipment when carrying out the cleaning function in line with current legislation, standards and Trust policies and procedures for Health and Safety and in accordance with training provided.
Support to Academy (this list is not exhaustive but reflects the ethos of the academy)
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young persons you are responsible for or come into contact with.
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of, support and ensure equal opportunities for all.
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the academy.
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
Person Specification – Cleaner
- Good standard in literacy and numeracy.
- NVQ 1 or BICSs in Cleaning or similar.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team.
- Ability to relate well to children and to adults.
- Good organising and prioritising skills.
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures and precautions.
- Awareness of COSHH regulations.
- Awareness of health and hygiene procedures.
- Demonstrate and assist in the safe and effective use of materials and equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to teamwork.
- Able to work flexibly to suit client needs.
- Experience cleaning in a school or other educational institute
Work Related Circumstances
· Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexible and prepared to work outside school hours in response to the needs of the academy and its users.
- Ability to communicate clearly with a willingness to help and support others
- Friendly yet professional and respectful approach.
- Open, honest and an active listener.
- Takes responsibility and accountability.
- Committed to the needs of the pupils, parents and other stakeholders and providing a quality service
- Demonstrates a “can do” attitude including suggesting solutions, participating, and achieving expectations.
- Is adaptable to change/embraces and welcomes change.
- Acts with pace and urgency being energetic, enthusiastic, and decisive.
- Has the ability to learn from experiences and challenges.
- Is committed to the continuous development of self and others by keeping up to date and sharing knowledge and developing new skills.
- To work within the spirit of Academy Policies on Equal opportunities, Child Protection, Health and Safety, Finance, Smoking etc.
Method of Application
- We will only accept applications on the David Nieper Academy application form. Curriculum Vitae will not be accepted.
- The statement in your application should focus on:
- Candidate’s previous experience which will help in successfully undertaking the role
- Personal skills to benefit the learning by students at the David Nieper Academy.
- For any queries or if you would like to visit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed application forms to be returned via email for the attention of the HR Assistant, Mrs Maria Barnes, email@example.com
- The academy operates a NO SMOKING policy on site.
- Interviews – Candidates invited to interview will:
- Have the opportunity to tour the academy
- Meet key members of staff
- Have a formal individual interview with the selection panel.
Please note some/all interview activities will take place online if the current restrictions remain in place