RSE (Relationships and Sex Education) is a compulsory subject, taught through the PSCHE curriculum.
At David Nieper Academy, teaching will build on the knowledge acquired at primary and further develop pupils’ understanding of health, with an increased focus on risk areas such as drugs and alcohol, as well as introducing knowledge about intimate relationships and sex. Teaching about mental wellbeing is central to these subjects, especially as a priority for parents is their children’s happiness.
We know that children and young people are increasingly experiencing challenges, and that young people are at particular risk of feeling lonely. The new subject content will give them the knowledge and capability to take care of themselves and receive support if problems arise.
Please see the full PSCHE & Citizenship curriculum, outlined below. RSE is highlighted in green. An example of a Year 8 ‘healthy relationships’ lesson can be found here. Parents can access materials for other lessons on request.
In addition to the timetabled curriculum, it is important that students are able to access information from a variety of professional organisations. We work closely with other professionals to ensure our PSCHE, RSE and Citizenship curriculum is broad, balanced and meets the needs of our students. The organisations we have worked with recently include – but are not limited to:
- 1625 Outreach (Drugs & Alcohol Education) https://www.changegrowlive.org/1625-outreach
- Rotheras Solicitors (Protected Characteristics & Discrimination)
- First Steps Charity (Mental Health and Self Esteem) https://firststepsed.co.uk/
- Remedi (CEASE) (Abusive Relationships and Sexual Harassment) www.remediuk.org
- Manny Barot (Lessons in Hate workshop)
- Derby University Widening Access Team (Careers and Further Education)
- School Nurse (appointment and drop-in sessions every Tuesday)
- Derbyshire Police (consequences of sexting, nudes and consent assembly)
- David Nieper Ltd (Equality and Diversity in the workplace)
- Bright Futures (Enterprise and Employability workshops)
- West Notts College (T Levels and Apprenticeship assembly)
If you have any queries regarding the PSCHE & Citizenship curriculum, or RSE, please do not hesitate to contact the Head of PSCHE & Citizenship at firstname.lastname@example.org
RSE Parent Information